Masterclass: Intervention with Adults with Autism
- 5 hours 32 mins
- 30 days to complete course
- Downloadable PDFs
- Certificate of completion
- Suitable for professionals
Participants will learn common presentations and challenges that adults with autism face, reasons for the challenges and strategies to accommodate the characteristics of autism.
Emotion management, relationship development, workplace issues, substance use, forensic issues, personality disorders, sexuality, psychosis, and gender identity will be discussed.
Who will benefit?
Professionals who see adults and/or older adolescents with autism as part of their work, including:
- Psychologists and psychiatrists
- Employment agencies
- Social workers and counsellors
- High school teachers and teacher assistants
- Occupational therapists
- Speech pathologists
- Staff in clinics for mental health problems, eating disorders, substance use issues, gender identity issues, and forensic issues
- To understand the reasons for problems with emotion perception, expression, and regulation for autistic adults
- To know how to adapt therapy to maximise therapeutic effectiveness for autistic adults
- To be able to deliver a new mindfulness based Cognitive Behaviour Therapy program for treating depression in autistic adults
- To teach anxiety reduction strategies
- To learn strategies to assist adults with autism developing a positive self-identity
- To gain an understanding of the pitfalls for adults with autism in achieving and maintaining meaningful employment
- To increase awareness of the issues of substance use, forensic issues, personality disorders, sexuality, psychosis, and gender identity in adults with autism
Prior learning needed
This course assumes knowledge and skill in professional clinical assessment techniques, the principles of psychotherapy, ethical and professional issues.
What will I be able to do as a result of this course?
The participant will be able to assess for and understand common clinical issues for autistic adults, understand how these can be magnified and maintained because of autism, and to design an intervention considering these predisposing and maintaining factors.
The course builds on and extends practitioner’s discipline knowledge to allow the participant to be able to adapt therapy to an adult with autism. The participant will be able to incorporate strategies specifically designed for autistic adults into their therapeutic programmes.