MASTERCLASS: Intervention with Children with ASD
- 6 hours 7 mins
- 30 days to complete course
- Downloadable PDFs
- Certificate of completion
- Suitable for Professionals
This intensive one-day Master Class has been designed to increase participant’s knowledge and skills in intervention with children and adolescents with ASD Level 1 and Level 2, including the Asperger’s syndrome sub-type. Participants will learn best practice models for intervention with children and adolescents on the autism spectrum, including use of CBT and mindfulness, individual and group therapy programs for depression, anxiety and friendship, and classroom accommodations that help.
The course material is presented using a combination of didactic teaching, taped demonstrations from real life clinical sessions, case studies, small group work, and question time. Each day is a stand-alone workshop, and participants may choose to choose either one or both workshops.
Who will benefit?
Health and educational professionals, including psychologists, teachers, teachers assistants, occupational therapists, speech pathologists, GPs, paediatric psychiatrists and paediatricians
- How to modify intervention and teaching methods for a child or adolescent with autism
- How to use CBT techniques to treating depression in adolescents with ASD
- How to develop a safety plan for a depression attack in ASD
- Anxiety reduction strategies for both children and adolescents with ASD
- How to understand and manage a ‘meltdown’ and a range of challenging behaviours
- How to increase understanding and expression of affection and friendship in children and adolescents with ASD
- Potential challenges for the professional working in ASD and how to manage those challenges
Module 1: Modifications to teaching and therapy for children and teens with ASD are described, based on understanding the learning profile of the autistic child or adolescent.
Module 2: Strategies to increase or accommodate difficulties with understanding and expressing emotion. Why and how to utilise mindfulness strategies. Using CBT techniques to treat and manage depression in adolescents with autism.
Video of Tony in a therapy session with a 10 year old girl with autism who self-harms.
Module 3: Depression attacks and how to create a safety plan. Use of medication in ASD. Recognising the ways anxiety present in a child or adolescent with autism, and strategies for assisting a child or adolescent with autism to cope with their high levels of anxiety.
Module 4: Managing angry episodes and challenging behaviour in autism. More strategies to teach children and adolescents with autism to assist them to manage their anxiety, and recommended resources and techniques to help them to develop friendships and understand affection.. Professional challenges and how to cope.